Tuesday 22 June 2021

The New 23rd (Psalms)

 The New 23rd song is based on Psalm 23 written by Ralph Carmichael/arrangged by John Purifoy. This is a pivotal song in the development of Contemporary Christian Music is re-visited in this loving homage. Wildly popular during the late sixties and early seventies, this choral piece inspired many young composers of the day. The message is universal, and the arrangement is well-crafted, filled with expressive opportunities. The piano writing is very effective and covers this setting of the 23rd Psalm with classic keyboard poetry. A standard!

To download the easy alphanotes and chords sheet music, look here. Enjoy!


Lyrics

Because the LORD is my Shepherd
I have everything I need!
He lets me rest in the meadow grass 
and leads me beside the quiet streams. 
He restores my failing health. 
He helps me do what honors him the most.
Even when walking through the dark valley of death 
I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me, 
guarding, guiding all the way.
You provide delicious food for me 
in the presence of my enemies. 
You have welcomed me as your guest; blessings overflow!
Your goodness and unfailing kindness 
shall be with me all of my life, 
and afterwards I will live with you forever in your home.













No comments:

Post a Comment