Monday 12 July 2021

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

"Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow", this song, both the words and the music, were written by Don Wyrtzen. But, there is a story behind why Don’s father, Jack, is actually credited with writing the words. Jack Wyrtzen began the Word of Life youth outreach with conference and school facilities in Schroon Lake, New York, as well as missionary outreaches around the world.

One day, Jack’s son, Don, who was well-known as a composer, saw an outline of a sermon his father had preached. The title of the sermon was, “Three Days in the Life of the Christian”. Don developed this song based on that sermon, and then put his father’s name down as the author. But Jack said all the credit should go to his son, Don. Jack said, “Don developed the theme. I don’t really know why he put my name on it. I think when we get to Heaven, the Lord will give him credit for the entire hymn.”

Maybe it could be said that yesterday Jack preached the sermon, today Don wrote the hymn, and tomorrow the Lord will give Don the credit. Or maybe not. We do know that yesterday Christ died for us… today He lives for us… and tomorrow He will come again for us.

To download the easy alphanotes and chords sheet music, look here. Enjoy!


Lyrics: 

Yesterday He died for me, yesterday, yesterday;

yesterday, He died for me, yesterday.

Yesterday He died for me, died for me…

this is history.

Today He lives for me, today, today;

today, He lives for me, today.

Today He lives for me, lives for me…

this is victory.

Tomorrow He comes for me, He comes, He comes;

Tomorrow, He comes for me, He comes.

Tomorrow He comes for me, comes for me…

this is mystery.

O friend, do you know Him, know Him, know Him?

O friend, do you know Him, know Him?

O friend, do you know Him, do you know Him?

Jesus Christ the Lord!  Jesus Christ the Lord!  Jesus Christ the Lord!











No comments:

Post a Comment