Saturday 15 July 2023

I Know Where I'm Goin'

 "I Know Where I'm Going" is a traditional Scottish (some sources say Irish) ballad about a wealthy love-struck young woman pining for her "bonnie" lover Johnny who some say has a bad reputation. It has been noted since the early nineteenth century. It is Roud number 5701.

In some versions the lover is said to be 'black'. This may refer to him being an outlaw or of bad reputation. 

To download the easy alphanotes sheet music, look here. Enjoy!

Lyrics:

I know where I'm going,
And I know who's going with me.
I know who I love,
And my dear knows who I'll marry.

I have stockings of silk,
And shoes of bright green leather,
Combs to buckle my hair,
And a ring for every finger.

O' feather beds are soft,
And painted rooms are bonnie,
But I would give them all,
For my handsome winsome Johnny.

Some say that he's poor,
But I say that he's bonnie,

Fairest of them all,
Is my handsome, winsome, Johnny.







No comments:

Post a Comment